A protected cove, Stanford’s Bay, in the middle of De Kelders is perfect for swimming. This is also the place where in modern times the first permanent coastal settlement was established in the area of the Danger Point Peninsula. In 1811 Quena-descendants erected fishing cottages next to the cove and started a thriving fishing culture in the Gansbaai area. It was used by Capt Robert Stanford to transport his fresh farm produce to the cape.