Forty three years before the establishment of the lighthouse at Danger Point on 1 January 1895, the British troopship H.M. “Birkenhead” carrying troops and their families to Port Elizabeth was wreck on a reef off Danger Point on 26 February 1852. A white commemorative plaque recording this tragic event has been set into the white octagonal lighthouse tower. The light and the tower now warns mariners of the dangerous reefs in this area.